Sunday 6 August 2017

My Town

August 5, 2017

Shikano-cho, Tottori Japan

The distance from Tottori city to my town of Shikano-cho is only 18 km. The trip using public transportation takes an hour and 20 minutes. It is off the beaten path. We took the train as far as we could, then a bus.

Small country train station in Hamamura.

The last time Jack and I came here we were driven by a friend. Now I had to remember some landmarks to get off the bus and find the parts of the town I wanted to show my boys.

The junior high school where I taught is surrounded by a moat and set against a mountain on one side and rice fields on the other. Everything in this town is more beautiful than I remember.




Shikano junior high school

Even on this hatsui day, we climbed the mountain behind the school for the view of the town and the Sea of Japan. I always liked this view.


I wanted to show the boys the house I lived in. Navigating the streets, I knew the direction, but the streets are narrow and look a lot alike. I found it though. My house looks different (a lot nicer) than when I lived in it. It was never really a house, but a shop that was converted into a living space. When I lived here everyone on the street had indoor pit toilets. Wonder if that has been upgraded. The exterior of the houses have had a face lift. No longer the low doors, pre-war wooden look. Looks very updated.

My house

I was looking for Noriko's parents who lived a few doors down from me. Every house looks different than it used to. This runner tried knocking on a few doors, but there are so many Okada's on my street it is hard to narrow down the search. We did not find the right Okada.

I showed the boys were my landlord lived. Levi pressed the door open to his shop and when we walked in the first thing Mrs. Inoue said was "Cindy-san". There was not a breath of hesitation. No one knew we were coming but it was nice to be remembered so quickly. The hospitality began at once with serving of cold green tea and rice crackers and the phone tree started to alert others that I was in town. A very warm reception.


Conversation was basic, but we did communicate.

They saw us to the bus station and as we arrived, another Mrs. Okada who was my next door neighbor, came racing up in a van to meet us.

Now the boys know why I was always told "Cindy-san, oki desu nai! (Cindy is so big!).


Klinger commented that this was one of the best days. I agree! That small town hospitality exists around the world. Luke was beaming after I translated for him that the ladies were commenting on how tall he was.

We spent the evening back in Tottori city. The city had perked up on a Saturday night. A street festival had popped up on the main street with girls dressed in yukatas, bands playing, and street food all around. Levi picked what he thought would just be fried noodles, but being in Japan, most foods come with some type of fish flavouring. These noodles were topped with tiny, dried fish. Not to  his liking. Luke ate it up for him.