Sunday 5 March 2017

Bontebok National Park

Friday March 3, 2017

At 10:00 we drove away from Cape Town on the N2 bound for Swellendam and Bontebok National Park. From the highway we saw Shanty Towns on the edge of most towns and cities, vineyards, orchards and sheep, sheep, sheep! We were on the lookout for baboons and finally spotted three eating on the side of the road.

 Dry, rolling landscape.

Swellendam is the third oldest town in South Africa. It is a tourist town with B&Bs on nearly every street. The weekend we were there they were holding an agricultural fair. The boys were not interested. They were, however, introduced to iron brew. Nate thinks it is the best drink ever. A combination of cream soda and root beer.

Outside of Swellendam is Bontebok National Park. This was our first overnight stop on the road trip. With 35 degree heat we entered the park and found the campsite. These lovely bonteboks were our welcoming committee at the camp site.


The camping area felt like we were in the outback, but was well set up. No
need for fences around the campsite I was told as this park did not have predators. This is not a great park for game viewing but we were hopeful to see some zebra.

Instead of wildlife, there were amazing aloe trees.




The facilities were good at the campground but I need to get over my paranoia of snakes. Entering the cement bathroom I checked every corner as I thought they would love to lay on the cooler concrete during the day. Luckily, none that day.


The next morning I ran along the roads outside the campground. I kept within a one mile radius and saw one bontebok. After I was passed by two seven years olds on their pink bikes, I decided I didn't need to be so careful. On our drive out we spied five zebra and a red hartebeest.